Guardian ad Litem Refuses to let Battered Women go to Battered Women's Shelter (7/29/92)

I just found the transcripts of the phone conversations my mother had with the Hennepin County Guardian Ad Litem, Michael London. This conversation is pertaining to my mother’s request to go to a Battered Women’s Shelter.

My mom was ordered to return to Minnesota (from Massachusetts) with us for my father’s visitation in during the summer vacation. My Mom reported to the Hennepin County Family Court that she didn’t feel safe because my father had threatened to kill her when she brought us to Minnesota.

Two Family Court Service workers told my mom to go to a battered women’s shelter. However the Guardian ad Litem, Michael London threatened to take us away if we went to the shelter.

July 29 1992,

Holly:
I talked to Michelle Millinacker (Family Court Services) and she told me to go to a homeless shelter.

Michael London:
Well…

Holly: And I ‘m not homeless. I’ve been battered. I don’t understand why I can’t go to a battered women’s shelter, but I’m allowed to go to a homeless shelter?

Michael London:
There’s a difference between them.

Holy
Why?

Michael London:
Uh if nothing else, it’s uh… I, I think there’s, there’s certainly a significant, uh, psychological difference between the two of them and the uh, uh, presentation that they make uh, especially the representation that they, that, that,,, it will have with regards to the kids.

Holly:
Are you still forbidding me to go to a, a battered women’s shelter? Could I go now?

Michael London:
Well I guess my feeling is , is that I don’t think that a battered women’s shelter is, is the appropriate place…

Holly:
But I have been a battered woman. They can get me food, medicine, take care of our , our transportation and help with counseling and safety.

Michael London:
Okay, I I guess I don’t see those the, the, the, the protection aspect of it as… as a need right now a. and I think the, the , uh the….

Holly:
Are you forgetting that he threatened to kill mejust a coupld of months ago/

Michael London:
Well okay, I don’t know. I mean.. Okay..

Holly:
What would happen if I went there? What are the repercussions? Are there any or am I…?

Michael London:
… Now that I, I, I guess I can’t tell you that the judge is gonna’ look real favorably on that at this point….

Holly:
Yeah but Jennifer (Royer, Family Court Services) didn’t seem to object to me going to a battered women’s shelter. Apparently she told Susan Hyland (Holly’s therapist) she thought it was a good idea. You’re the only one forbidding me. And then when you told me that the kids… you’d find alternative arrangements for the kids I mean - How am I supposed to interpret what that means? I’m asking. I just need to know.

Michael London:
Okay, yeah I, I guess at this point I, I can’t tell you that, that, that, uh, the, uh battered women’s shelter is, is an appropriate alternative. I think that let’s, let’s, let’s exhaust the other alternatives first. Number one, is, is let’s find out what we can get from Mark. Uh and number two - a homeless shelter. And then, and then if we have to we’ll look at the battered shelter.

Holly:
But why is a homeless shelter before a battered women’s shelter?

Michael London:
Because of the differences in the psychological and emotional effect it will have. That’s why.

Holly:
But we have been battered. The court even acknowledged that.

Michael London:
Well I hose are those are the ways that Id’ like you to approach it…

Holly:
So the bottom line is, is that I’m still forbidden to go to a battered women’s shelter?

Michael London:
Well forbidden, I guess, uh , you know, I guess I’m not going to be the one that, I, I, I at this point that I would recommend that you not go.. Yeah!

Holly:
… I do believe you’re part of the cultrip, culprit. Because you before… you threatened me that if I went to the shelter that you would find alternative arrangements for the kids.

Michael London:

Well..

Holly:
You’ve been the one that s been threatening me directly… Every time I do something I seem to be getting in trouble... Are you rescinding your threat?

Michael London:
No I think I don’t think at this point in time that a, a battered women’s shelter is an appropriate place to be.,,,

Holly:
Jennifer (Rojer) said it’s okay for me to go. You told me that if I went, there’d be alternative living arrangements for my kids. You people have me jumping through hoops left and right. Well I just need to know what I can and cannot do.

Michael:
What I don’t understand is why every body’s pointing the finger at me…

Holly:
You’re the one who’s forbidding me to go to the shelter.

Michael:
That isn’t the only alternative. Listen, as George bush said… “READ MY LIPS!”

Holly
Don’t yell at me…

Michael.
That is not the only alternative. I REPEAT…THE BATTERED WOMEN’S SHELTER IS NOT THE ONLY ALTERNATIVE!

No comments:

Post a Comment