A Convenient Excuse to Child Abuse - Munchausen’s Syndrome by Proxy

The other day I had a routine dentist appointment with the same dentist I have had for over 10 years. She knew that I was allergic to latex but apparently forgot and accidently used a latex appliance in my mouth. At the time I didn't know. I trusted my dentist. Within minutes my mouth and face swelled up. My throat began to close and I had difficulty breathing. I had my epi-pen by me but it was giving insufficient relief. I called my mom and she came immediately. There was a doctor on the scene within minutes but her injections to offset the allergic reaction in combination with pure shots of adrenaline were not sufficient to keep throat from closing. I was rushed by ambulance to the emergency room. Even the triage doctors and internists on call were uncomfortable combating the anaphylaxis on their own. I went into shock and was admitted to the Intensive Care Unit.

I am not looking for sympathy at all. I have been living with life threatening allergies since I was 2 years old, when I ate a chicken mcnugget at McDonalds and started to turn blue. My young mother (only 21 years old) assumed that I was chocking. It wasn’t until I passed out that an older adult at the restaurant grabbed me, ran with me down the street with my limp body in his arms to the pediatrician on the corner. Dr. Estrin determined that I wasn’t choking at all. I was suffering from anaphylactic shock caused by a severe allergic reaction. We were new to Minnesota and didn’t have a family doctor lined up yet. My parents decided to stay with the pediatrician who saved my life.

Throughout the years my mother and father would be told that my brother and I were some of the most allergic children these experts have ever seen. Of course there were skeptics who doubted that we could be so allergic, until they too eventually witnessed an allergic reaction themselves.

But now, my father and his personal advocate Mr. Glenn Sacks have decided themselves that my brother and I do not have allergies at all. They claim that we are the victims of a malicious mother suffering from the delusions of Munchausen Syndrome by Proxy; a rare disorder where a parent invents and fabricates an illness in their child to gain attention. My father even had a custody evaluator suppose that this was true after he brought it to her attention and she read 6 (yes SIX!) whole articles about this new fascinating excuse to child abuse.

Abusive fathers and lawyers all over the United States are embarking on a new witch hunt to conveniently explain away credible allegations of child abuse.

Glenn Sacks is a fair weather opponent, who surfaces every now and then when he is afraid that my mother, a recovering battered woman is being believed by the general population. Mr. Sacks spreads lies and tries to detract the attention away from the truth that abusive fathers are using a catchy phrase called parental alienation and accusing good, loving, protective mothers of Munchausen’s Syndrome by Proxy to deter attention away from their abuse of their own children. After all, once a woman has been accused of being crazy who is going to listen to her allegations of abuse against her child’s father?

I am recovering now and a little wiser from this last scare, but angrier than ever that my father has the nerve to claim that I am not allergic. I have recently received word that there has been numerous ambulance calls made to 2 Hawthorne Avenue in Salem N.H. to my father’s parents home apparently for anaphylaxis reactions my Grandmother Collins has had as well. Shame on you Dad! And shame on Mr. Sacks for spreading lies for the sole purpose of trying to discredit another validated battered woman.

No comments:

Post a Comment